This afternoon PIRSA announced the varroa sampling program, targeted at beekeepers with 20 or more hives.
SA beekeepers with 20 or more hives are being called on to play their part in protecting our state from Varroa mite by sampling 10% of their hives per apiary.
Sampling hives gives PIRSA and industry confidence that SA is free of Varroa mite, and protects apiary businesses and associated pollination-dependent industries. The Department of Primary Industries and Regions (PIRSA) is offering free sampling kits at a series of upcoming workshops across the state.
At the workshops, beekeepers will receive their sampling kits, learn how to sample for Varroa mite and have the opportunity to ask questions.
Workshop dates and locations:
• Murray Bridge, 21 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Mt Gambier, 22 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Naracoorte, 23 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Keith, 24 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Loxton, 25 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Port Lincoln, 29 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Clare, 30 November, 6pm-7.30pm
• Nuriootpa, 1 December, 6pm-7.30pm
• Adelaide, 2 December, 6pm-7.30pm
• Kangaroo Island, 6 December, 6pm-7.30pm.
Eventbrite link to register - Varroa mite sampling workshops Tickets, Mon 21/11/2022 at 6:00 pm | Eventbrite
PIRSA Varroa web page – www.pir.sa.gov.au/varroa
A post on PIRSA’s Facebook and Twitter